Natural Childbirth Classes

Friday, May 17, 2013

Chicago weekend!

It has been crazy around here for us. It started at the end of April when Brad takes his weekly trips down to Springfield for work. After a short weekend home, he had to fly to Atlanta for the week. Friday when he landed from Atlanta, he had to work until 11:00 umpiring softball (which he does Friday and Sunday evenings).
Yep, we needed some quality family time, and I had an itch to travel so a Chicago weekend it was!
We have actually been planning this trip for some time. My dad shipped some olive oil from Greece, and it arrives in Chicago - that however was in January. Our estimated pick up was March. We were cleared to pick it up in May, but when I called just before leaving they said the FDA had a hold on it. AH...frustrating to say the least....my dad jokes that the FDA hasn't seen such pure, unadulterated oil before, so it had to undergo further inspection. - probably true...

We drove up Saturday morning. Brad and the kids slept for quite a bit of the trip, so that was nice. Once we got there we headed to Shedd Aquarium right away.
It was such nice relief to get out of the van and run around and see some fish! 
Hello Mr. Turtle!

HUGE fish! 

The jelly fish were my favorite. Elijah liked them too.

It devastated me that when our 3:00 show time for this movie came around she was passed out. Ice Age is her all time favorite show to watch.

I have no clue what was in those pools...but any opportunity to play with water, they're on it.
Oh! and this picture was so great, it was worth the overpriced $20 we paid for it. Look at their faces!!
After our visit at the aquarium, we relaxed at our hotel for a bit and went to the lake. We were only a few blocks away! I guess we have Brad's travels to thank for the free hotel room in the great location.
Our family needs to live by the water one day... 
I wish I was a better photographer, I really like this picture, but it looks dark.

My goose.

I had to stop myself from thinking about how many germs were on their hands after playing. eek.

It was a challenge to find rocks big enough to throw!!
We walked down to Navy Pier afterwards, which to most people it would have been pretty boring, but the kids loved the boats, seagulls and water - so it was great seeing their reactions.
It was a little chilly, but still very nice.
She is becoming such a little girl. My baby has grown so fast.

What are we missing? Yep...the gnome...
We decided to take a cab to the Rainforest Cafe for dinner. It was only a mile away, but we were getting pretty chilly as the sun went down. I can't believe I didn't get any pictures at dinner -  the kids were in awe. Elijah especially loved the thunderstorms that would happen every 30 minutes or so. It was such a neat experience.
We were back at the hotel around 9. Kids were passed out by 9:20, and I was passed out at 9:25. It was a great day. They handled the drive there really well, they didn't complain, and the enthusiasm and excitement in their eyes was enough to do this all over again.

Of course, we still had to drive home (and by back by 5:30 so Brad could umpire -- can you imagine how tired he must have been?)
So we woke up Mother's Day to head home. NOT before stopping at IKEA first!
We had breakfast at the hotel and got to IKEA when they opened at 10. We had an hour and a half to check it out before we had to go - an hour and a half is not nearly long enough to check out the store if you're a newbie like I was. It was so neat, and we left with some pretty unique, fun things for the kids. (I was however pretty disappointed in how many "made in china" stickers I saw on their products)
Here are some pictures of our final day.
After my shower I found this. I love them.

Yeaaaa, this chick is out of control. I turned my head to finish loading the van from IKEA and she's made our van a public restroom. We did intend for them to use it this way, but when the doors were closed and when gas station bathrooms were disgusting. Oh my Athena, just one more reason I have that I love you so, so much!

We got home safe and sound, and with minutes to spare before Brad had to leave for work. Maybe next time we'll plan with an extra night in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment