Natural Childbirth Classes

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Becky, but NOT

happy birthday Elijah... :(

Yes, technically there are 7 hours left, and it could happen, but not likely. Everything is such a blur right now. Let me try and update. Last night I took my bath and was feeling contractions, I got out of the bath and was still feeling contractions. I decided to try and sleep them off and wait for something more significant.
12 am wakes me up with some.
1 am wakes me up with some.
2 am wakes me up with more painful ones. Painful enough Brad and I timed them on contraction master. By 3 am they started to become irregular again. They were 5 minutes apart, about a minute long. So I tried to go back to sleep.
4 am I wake up with even more uncomfortable ones. This time I let Brad try and sleep and timed them on my own while wiggling my hips on the exercise ball. The contractions were now around 4-5 minutes apart 45-60 seconds long and uncomfortable to the point I had to put more focus on getting through them (however still not the excruciating ones I envision). By 4:45 I was getting a little nervous and decided to call Dr. Chen's exchange. I had an appt with him at 11:30 today, so I didn't want to go in premature and just get sent home. He called me back within 10 minutes and advised me that it was my decision. I really didn't want to go and get sent home, so I tried to fall asleep again...yea, didn't happen. Actually laying down made them so much worse. So by 6:30 Brad is getting pretty antsy and wants to go to the hospital, but I know it's still early. So we decided to try and up our appt time when the offices opened. Well, Dr. Chen being so great called us and made us a time to come in at 9. So I ate a little, took a bath and started to notice the more active I became the more sporadic the contractions were becoming. -- This was pretty disappointing after the regular ones kept me up ALL night. Oh well, nonetheless we had an appointment we had to keep.
Dr. Chen checked me to find that I am 90% effaced and at 1 cm. I WANTED TO CRY. 1 cm....fan-freaking-tastic-progress I had there...

He did however assure us that he thinks active labor is just around the corner and I am in stage 1, latent labor. woo hoo I guess, but when I google latent labor and check the all knowing WTEWE book they say latent labor can be unnoticeable or feel like mild to moderate contractions or cramping. So now I feel completely defeated. I know I'm feeling ones that are a little painful....where is my quick labor that I've been hoping for - that everyone else seems to have gotten?? How am I the 'lucky' one to be given the mild/moderate contractions latent labor?? I guess what makes it worse is that I am just so stinking tired, and that makes me emotional which definitely doesn't help me manage anything.

The good news is that is is doing fine in there. His head is definitely smooshed down on my vag bits. We got an u/s to make sure had enough fluid (which he does) and he just seems so content in there. I can already tell he has chubby cheeks (although today they only estimated him to weigh 6 1/2 - 7 pounds). I can't wait to hold and kiss him.

I guess lucky for me the contractions today were not as frequent so I napped quite a bit to hopefully gain some rest for the active labor just around the corner. However they still came, woke me up and made me question active labor contractions.

Poor Becky. Today is her birthday, and normally I am more of a "rah rah, yea it's your birthday!" kind of person, but I barely said anything to her. (She was going into her appt with Dr. Chen as we were coming out). I'm sure she understands, but I still feel bad about it.

Come on baby, please come out to help me feel normal again...

No comments:

Post a Comment