Natural Childbirth Classes

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The worst night of my life

was last night.

Early evening everything was pretty good. Brad and I went on a nice walk through New Town, got back home and just relaxed. I made brownies to have waiting for me after the walk (mmmmm, by the way). Around 10:30 it started. I felt a fire brewing in my chest and throat. I had only felt heartburn/indigestion once before and I think it was during my second trimester.
I consulted the pregos on thebump.com and they suggested to get tums, drink milk, etc.

I decided to try and go to sleep and since we didn't have any tums in the house. I did my mom's trick and swallowed a little bit of arm and hammer baking soda just to take the edge off the burning.

3:00 am rolls around. DEAR LORD. That was the most awful, horrifying experience I'd ever felt. It was really like I was a fire breathing dragon and hot liquid lava was pouring out of my throat, mouth and nose. I couldn't take it. I threw my shirt on, a pair of pants and drove like a bat out of hell to find some kind of relief at the closest gas station.

The attendant must have felt so bad for me. I'm bawling my eyes out, I realize my shirt is on backwards and I am grabbing every roll of tums and Rolaids that they have. I grab a bottle of milk, pay and the attendant wishes me best of luck and hopes I feel better. On my way home I called Beequee because I know she suffered heartburn with Emma pretty bad, and she said the only thing I can do is eat tums and sit up right. (I felt bad calling her, because after her full-moon-labor-prediction I probably just teased her with my 3:15 am phone call about how I'd become a fire breathing dragon)

I had eaten a half a roll of tums by the time I got home, drank half my milk when I realized that my throat was so burned that the cold milk was not offering any relief - I really didn't even feel it going down!

So I made myself comfortable in the closet, sat on a pillow and fell asleep propped up on my exercise ball. That worked for about an hour, then I moved to the couch and propped myself up on pillows and finally got some sleep.

The whole time during this fiasco the stupid Incubus song is going through my head...
::pardon me while I burst, into flames:::

I woke up thinking it was all over. WRONG. After I brushed my teeth I spewed more liquid lava from the depths of my acid reservoir. It is so awful. I can't imagine people that have to deal with this on a frequent basis.

I was talking to Cara today about my episode last night and she told me how she suffered the same thing only it was her gallbladder giving her the problem. This concerned me because I know my mom had to her gallbladder removed after delivering me because of similar symptoms. I'm fairly healthly, so I'm not concerned that I have the same issue. But it is concerning enough that I will call Dr. Chen -- I've eaten 4 tums since beginning this blog -- He mentioned getting an u/s on my next visit, so I'll ask if he can just take a peak and make sure that it looks normal.
Until then I will eat no more shit food. I'm going to go to the farmers market and eat fresh, whole foods as much as possible.
What sucks even more!! Is that I know I was having contractions last night, but I was too wrapped up in my dragon issues to even start to get excited about them....I'll pay more attention today.

No comments:

Post a Comment