Natural Childbirth Classes

Friday, July 10, 2009

Really, just one day??

yea right. I don't see anything moving along yet....It will be a miracle if I have the baby tomorrow...

It's okay though, it gives me time to get my act together. Since my dragon episode things have been better in that regard (dr. told me to take one pepcid ac before bed). However my nickel allergy started kicking in again.

Yesterday while I was sitting here at work my whole right hand and forearm swelled and broke out into teeny ITCHY bumps. This happened to me early in the pregnancy. I went to my dermatologist who said it was just eczema and prescribed me a steroid that Walgreen's pharmacy REFUSED to give to me because it was a category X. --- Yea, so obviously I will never go back to my dermatologist again (she knew I was pregnant). I bring this up because it fueled my research that I DO NOT BELIEVE IN ECZEMA.

It may be a legit diagnosis for some, but for me I think it's BS. It's a doctor's way of saying "We don't know what the hell is wrong with you, so you just have this "eczema" we can clear up with a steroid". Come to find out, I was right. I don't have eczema I have a nickel allergy SO bad that when I was slathering myself in cocoa butter early 2nd trimester, I was absorbing too much nickel naturally found in cocoa....interesting isn't it. As soon as I stopped the Palmer's, my itch was gone.

So back to yesterday. I'm freaking out again....well it didn't take me long to figure out that my problem was right on my desk. I have been addicted to eating sunflower seeds while I'm at work. Sunflower seed are super high in nickel....so needless to say I have been chewing gum today, and not seeds and my itch is almost gone.

I bring up this story because it got me thinking of other things I'm allergic too. I went to an allergist a few years ago to find out how severe my nickel allergy was and found out I was also allergic to -caine medications. This had me concerned, because just in case I have to be induced with labor and it's too intense for me to go through without pain management, I don't want to be stabbed in my back with a drug I'm allergic to. So, I called my allergist and of course nothing is ever easy with medical requests, right?

He had since moved locations, I'm no longer current in their system so they don't have my records. I have to call XYZ to get my info. So I called and you could just tell the lady on the other end of the phone HATES her job. I told her I need my records and it will take 30 days just to process my request, is what she tells me.
To my amazement, I told her my circumstances, "I'm due Saturday, and I know I should have considered this earlier, but I'm afraid I'm allergic to medicine they will administer during labor" She replied, "Oh sweetheart I don't want anything to happen to you or your baby, so you come by tomorrow and I'll have them at the front desk for you."

my jaw dropped. I learned my lesson...don't be too quick to judge. So now I feel pretty relieved that I will have my allergy information, just in case I need an epi. Also, I LOVE my hospital. I called yesterday to find out exactly what drugs are used in the epidurals. They had to transfer me to a few people before they got someone who could help, but I got my info (I'll start researching tonight).
Basically they numb with bupivocaine (I'm allergic) and the epi itself is a mixture of Fenanyl and Sufentanil --- I'm not sure what that means at all, but I'll figure it out :)

So that's my latest scoop. We went to dinner last night with Brad's mom and dad, my mom, George, Steph, Allison, Becky, Jon and Emma to celebrate Brad graduating college and a going away for George (he left today for Virginia DEA school). So it was kind of bitter sweet I suppose.

So now I'm off to meet this wonderful lady Angie who dug up my medical records because she cares about me and my baby. Then I'm off to get every natural induction idea google has ever had to offer...

No comments:

Post a Comment